Friday, July 2, 2010

Short Love Stories | Jennifer Jenkinson | Blues in the Night 16

Short Love Stories | Jennifer Jenkinson | Blues in the Night 16

Blues in the Night
by: Jennifer Jenkinson

<16>



"You're hands are so soft and small." he marveled, thinking of his first impression of her as she sailed the little sloop so expertly all alone. "Would you let me read some of your writing some day?" he asked. "I'm not as intimidating as a publisher might be."

"I could I suppose." Katherine said quietly. "I will think about it Matt. It's a kind offer." He released his hold on her hand and smoothly started to clear their empty plates from the table.

"I'm not a harsh critic at all" he reassured her, "I'm awestruck by anyone who can express themselves in writing."

Katherine took a deep breath and another short sip of her wine. Is it the wine that's going to my head, she thought. All she wanted was for Matt to touch her, take her hand again. Instead, he merely put his head around the corner of the kitchen doorway.

"Hope you like strawberries," he announced.

"Dessert too!" her surprise evident in her voice. "Thank you, I love strawberries. They are one of my favourites!"

He returned with the strawberries, sliced and served with ice cream and whipped cream. As he placed the bowl before her with a flourish, she became quite conscious of his closeness and fought an urge to reach out for him. Matt sat down again, stretching his long legs out beneath the table and folding his hands together across his stomach.

"You're not having strawberries?" she queried, noticing that he'd brought only the one bowl.

"I thought perhaps you might share one or two of yours." he told her, his green eyes twinkling in the candlelight. She lowered her eyes quickly from his, feeling a certain heat rise in her cheeks.


1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

0 comments: