Friday, July 2, 2010

Short Love Stories | Hojat Salehi | Yolardis 8

Short Love Stories | Hojat Salehi | Yolardis 8


Yolardis
by: Hojat Salehi

<8>



The next day, just before noon, a knock on my door woke me. The housemaid told me that Yolardis wanted to come in to see me. When she arrived I was badly hungover and she looked somber and sad. She was wearing her kiss print T-shirt again. She sat next to me on my bed, her eyes downcast and said in a sad voice:

"Listen carefully. I am sorry about last night but yesterday I had a big problem at home."

"What happened?"

"I could not wear your dress last night. I was very upset and I did not want to see anybody. Understand?" She said as her eyes welled up.

"But why?"

"Because yesterday my mother took the dress back to the shop to got the money for it." A tear ran down her cheek. She paused silently for a while and said:

"My mother said I could not have that dress when in our house we don't have enough food to eat."

I held her as she broke into a silent sob. I did not quite know what to say. I told her that the dress was not a big deal and she had no reason to be upset. I wanted to tell her that I would buy her another dress or that she could depend on me for anything but I held back as it was not going to sound right. Instead I said:

"I'm so sorry. Please don't cry. Whatever I can do ..."

"I have to go. I will see you later."

"When?"

"Don't know. I'll come by."

She quickly straightened up her back, collected herself together and got up. After a brief and pensive pause wiping her eyes and staring at the floor she said goodbye and left, closing the door behind her. I sat on the bed for a while, silent and confounded.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

0 comments: