Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Short Love Stories | Highway Time | Jennifer Jenkinson 13

Short Love Stories | Highway Time | Jennifer Jenkinson 13

Highway Time
by: Jennifer Jenkinson

-- 13 --



"Yes Sir, my name is Evan Kirby." he said keeping his voice even and calm. "She kinda looked like she needed a friend. I'm a sucker for strays, ya know?"

"Seems to me, young man, I owe you." the other man said, "Meredith was lucky that it was you that picked her up and convinced her to make this call."

Evan had looked in some surprise at Sky when her father had mentioned her real name. The girl would always be Sky in his mind. "She convinced herself, Sir. I just listened, ya know?"

"Don't call me Sir, Evan. The name's Geoff Cavanaugh." Meredith's father told him. "I have a last favour to ask of you, if you could see your way clear to drive my girl to the Vancouver Airport? I'll see that a ticket home is waiting there for her."

"Yeah Mr. Cavanaugh, it'd be a pleasure." he replied.

"Thank you, Mr. Kirby. I won't ever forget what you did for her."

Neither Evan nor Sky spoke for much of the rest of the drive into Vancouver. It was starting to get light and the city was grey and somewhat somber under early morning cloud cover. Evan tuned the radio in to a local Vancouver classic rock station. Beside him, Sky gazed around at everything as though trying to memorize it; her first ever view of Vancouver. He rapidly located the route through the city to the southside and the International Airport.

"You don't have to come inside with me." she told him half-heartedly.

Evan chuckled at her. "Of course I do, baby. Completes the circle, ya know?" he parked the car, pocketed the key and walked beside her to the terminal.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

0 comments: